Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Gotta make my haircut productive.

In my journeys about the city of Carbonia in Sardinia I pick up scuttlebutt. About people. Such as my Italian barber. His surname is Patane. And I’ve heard he’s a disc jockey. On the local radio station. That he specializes in Latin American and Spanish American music. Heard that a TV station did a little feature piece on him. And that arouses my curiosity. I want to know more. How he got turned on to such music. And whether he’s visited Latin American countries. Or Mexico. Or the American Southwest. I need a translator to accompany me when I get a haircut. And my Italian true love is reluctant to volunteer. Because she considers the barber shop a strict male domain. So I’m thinking about asking my Italian walking buddy, Bruno, to go with me for my next haircut. He speaks a little bit of English. Yes, I’ve gotta find ways to improvise. To innovate. To get the job done. Satisfying my curiosity. Doing whatever it takes. Only one more haircut before I return to America. Gotta make it productive. –Jim Broede

No comments: