Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Better the lover than the loved.

Amazing. How I’ve shut my mind to the travesties that keep occurring. All over the world. Senseless killings.  Often the result of  people hating each other.  Maybe I should be losing sleep over it all. But I don’t.  Because I’ve learned to turn it off. Like a light switch. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be able to enjoy the pleasures of life. Maybe that makes me cold and callous. Instead, I’m merely trying to live happily amidst the turmoil and tragedies. I feel it when something strikes close to me. To my loved ones.  I grieve and lose sleep in those cases. But I find ways to recover. And to get on with the rest of my life. Maybe it’s that I learned to take care of myself. First and foremost. Otherwise, I won’t be able to take care of others. Love is a strange thing. One has to be in a position to love. In order to truly love another. If I devastate myself, I’m the one that needs loving. Better the lover than the loved. –Jim Broede

No comments: