Thursday, July 18, 2013

As a black, I'd not stand a chance.

My dear friend Rosie goes too easy on George Zimmerman.  The neighborhood watch guy that shot and killed black teenager Trayvon Martin. She seems to think that Trayvon was just as responsible as George for the  shooting. That Trayvon had opportunity to retreat. And not be confrontational. To have acted more like a pacifist. But I’m judgmental in a different way. I put 90 percent, if not all, of the blame on gun-toting Zimmerman. Because I’m convinced that deep down, Zimmerman is a racist. A bigot. And a liar. Can’t prove it beyond an iota of doubt. And that’s why I might have let Zimmerman off the hook. If I had been on the jury.  But in a real life after-the-trial setting, I’d not trust Zimmerman. I’d always suspect that he’s a racist. A no-good fella. I’d avoid him.  Not want him as a friend. Maybe that’s wrong of me. But I’d still know, deep down inside me, that if I were black instead of white, I’d not stand a chance with Zimmerman. I’d not be treated fairly. So it wouldn’t bother me if I treated Zimmerman unfairly.  –Jim Broede

No comments: