Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Ain't too old for a good workout.

I can’t do everything I used to. Such as run a 7-minute mile. But at age 77, I can still bike 40 miles a day. Which adds up to 270 miles some weeks. And when I don’t bike, I generally walk 10 miles.   I like to stay physically active. But a close friend frowns on my physical workouts. Says it’s too much for a man my age. That’s ironic. Because the friend, who happens to be 20 years younger than me, should be exercising far more. If for no other reason than weight control.  Doesn’t hurt anybody to be in good physical condition. And to set aside time daily for aerobic pursuits. Another friend discourages me from climbing a ladder. Suggesting that it’s dangerous for an ‘old man.’ My response?  I don’t feel old. Last summer, I painted the exterior of my house. On a ladder. I not only survived. I also enjoyed myself. Wasn’t work really. But a pleasure. Thing is, I know what I’m capable of. Don’t need other people telling me what I can and can’t do. –Jim Broede

No comments: