Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Better to stroll than go to war.

I have several friends that don’t know how to pick and choose their battles. They go to war far too often. Maybe the same could apply to me. But less frequently. I’ve learned. To be very selective. Some friends say they have to be totally honest. With practically everyone. My friend Julie did that at a recent family reunion. The result was disastrous. She alienated practically everyone. To no good purpose. She would have been better off just cooling it. And fighting the battle another day. If ever. Because she ain’t gonna win. It’s a simple truth. Some people can’t be reached. No sense in putting forth useless effort. Don’t get me wrong. I’m willing to fight a losing battle. Knowing full well that I’m gonna lose. But I still do it. For the hell of it. Maybe it’s that I get pleasure from taunting certain people. On the other hand, Julie comes away exhausted. Mentally. Physically. Emotionally.  She would have been far better off taking a stroll in the woods. Allowing family members to be their irritating selves. –Jim Broede

No comments: