Thursday, September 26, 2013

The way life was meant to be.

Finally. Finally. Finally. My friend Julie finally put her father Ron into assisted living. Yesterday. He’s 85. And has Alzheimer’s. For over five years, dad has lived with Julie and Rick. They are my neighbors. So I see them almost every day. I take Ron and his dog Sasha for walks. I’ve encouraged Julie to place Ron. It’s a 20-minute drive away. In the countryside. On 183 acres. Makes it convenient for visits. By Julie. By Rick. By me. By everyone. It’s a better way to live. For everyone. Not perfect. But better. Ron’s the kind of guy that will adjust. He’s sociable. Mixes well with others. If there’s such a thing as good Alzheimer’s and bad Alzheimer’s, Ron has the good.  Now it’s up to Julie to adjust. She’s burdened by guilt. But I suspect the guilt will fade away. Recognizing that she’s always cared. That’s her nature.  Loving. But love also comes with stress. That’s the way she has lived. With daily stress. For a long, long time. Stress seems normal.  Part of the daily routine.  Julie and Rick are about to experience a new normal. Dad will still be in their lives. In significant and meaningful ways. But now they will have more time for each other. More time to truly live.  To the fullest. More time to savor it all. The way life was meant to be. –Jim Broede  

No comments: