Sunday, November 10, 2013

After a day of biking and reading.

I’ve learned to relish outcomes. After the fact. Rather than during the process. Take the Chicago Bears pivotal football game with the Detroit Lions today. I have resolved to not watch or listen to the game. Even though I’m a Bears fan. I have better things to do. Such as biking 30 miles and reading a book.  Instead, I’ll check the result. After the game is over. If the Bears win, I’ll watch replays. And savor it all. If the Bears lose, I’ll more or less ignore the details. And get on with the rest of my life. Reading my book. A novel by Paul Auster. This way, I’m not wasting my time. By subjecting myself to the possibility of a frustrating and heartbreaking loss by the Bears.   In essence, I’m playing it safe. Freeing myself from the entertainment (and stress) of watching a football game. Better to wait for the outcome. Over which I have absolutely no control. What ever will happen, will happen. And I will practice complete acceptance. In a relatively relaxed manner. After a day of biking and reading. –Jim Broede

No comments: