Thursday, December 12, 2013

Mutual respect: That's the big thing.

I know good communists. Good atheists, too. And horrid Christians. What does this prove? That labels often are meaningless. Meant to categorize people. If you are a conservative Republican, for instance. all communists are bad. All atheists are bad. And all Christians are good.  I know better. Maybe because I’m less judgmental than most Republicans. I approach people with an open mind. Doesn’t matter what they are called. Instead, I try to get to know them. As they really are. Most people, I’ve discovered, are likeable. Good enough to have as acquaintances and friends. Generally, doesn’t matter whether they are communists, atheists or Christians.  I even like people who have done bad.  Because nobody is perfect. I even like some Republicans. Despite their political views. I don’t have to agree with my friends.  We can be diametrically opposed on many matters. We’ve learned to be tolerant. Of each other. We learn, too. From each other. We find ways to show mutual respect.  That’s the big thing. –Jim Broede

No comments: