Friday, January 17, 2014

A very pleasant surprise.

I don’t want to know everything. That’s a good reason to NOT be god, the creator. But then, maybe god doesn’t know everything. Why assume that he does? I was taught in Sunday school that god is all-knowing. Didn’t seriously question it at the time.  But now I do. Maybe god is as stupid and dumb and as ill-informed as the rest of us. My guess is god would be very, very uncomfortable if he knew everything.  It’s possible to know too much. Think about it. I don’t want to know when I’m gonna die. Let it come as a surprise.  Maybe I don’t even want to know if there is a god. I can live without knowing. Better to merely take a calculated guess. And even if there is a god, maybe it’s just as well not knowing what sort of being he is or isn’t. Chances are, he’s not a he or a she. Maybe it doesn’t make any difference.   Oh, and the thing about dying. Maybe I won’t die. I’ll just pass on to another form of life. Could be that life -- my life -- is everlasting. Now that would be a very pleasant surprise. –Jim Broede

No comments: