Saturday, February 8, 2014

The search for true meaning.

I detested memorization assignments. In elementary school or junior high. We were required to memorize a poem. Or maybe it was the Gettysburg address. We had to stand up. In class. In front of everyone. And repeat the poem. From memory. And I almost always thought, ‘What a waste.’ Because I memorized by rote. Repeating a line until it was emblazoned in my memory. Then going to the next line.  Meaningless words. Really, I should have been required to find meaning. I didn’t know any better. The teacher should have required me to read the poem aloud. And then translate. The meaning. Into my own words. Meaningful words. I remember rebelling. Refusing to memorize. Because I was wasting my time. Maybe I got a failing grade. But I should have received an A-plus.  For becoming a rebel. Maybe a stupid rebel at the time. Meanwhile, I’ve wised up. I’m always looking for true meaning. In everything.  –Jim Broede

No comments: