Thursday, September 18, 2014

My doctor: A stroll away.

I have a new primary care doctor. For the first time in 30-some years. My longtime physician. Retired. I was momentarily at a loss. Where do I find another reliable and competent doctor? Lo and behold. I didn’t have to look far.  Joe and Erin walk their beautiful Samoyed dogs past my house. Almost daily. They’re a married couple. Both doctors. In the same clinic. Not far away. And I’m acquainted with them. I’ve dreamed of having an easily accessible doctor. One I could chat with. For more than 15 minutes. One that I knew. And knew me, too. It became apparent. We were suited for each other. Joe has become my doctor. And if and when he’s unavailable, I’m welcome to see Erin.  And talk about convenience.   Any day I have a question. About anything. Need only go for a walk. I’m likely to meet Joe and Erin. And their dogs, too.  Had my first office visit with Joe. On Tuesday. A 4 p.m. appointment. We greeted each other. By first names. Joe warned me ahead of time. He ‘runs late.’ Didn’t show up until 4:45. Joe apologized. But didn’t have to. Because he gives each patient his undivided time and attention. No rush. No hurry. We chatted. For 90 minutes. About everything that was pertinent. And more. We set a fine example. For a doctor/patient relationship. And if I forgot to ask something. Chances are. I can corner Joe. On our daily strolls. –Jim Broede  

No comments: