Saturday, February 7, 2015

Sasha: More cat than dog.

I walk the neighbor's mixed breed, 40-pound dog. Sasha. Every day. For 2 or 3 miles. And it's entertaining. Observing Sasha. And her idiosyncrasies.  She's a fearful dog. Doesn't tolerate other dogs. Mostly out of fear. She puts on a tough act. That's all it is. She's really trembling. She's mostly fearful of two boxers. Once upon a time, they teamed up. And knocked her down. Sasha squirmed out of her collar and leash. And ran home. Licity-split. Non-stop. For a mile. Now, when she approaches the boxers' house, she does so reluctantly. Even when the dogs are indoors. Wishes I'd turn around. Of course, I tug on the leash. And encourage her to be a brave dog. She wastes no time. Scurrying by the house. Sometimes, the boxers are in their fenced yard.  They bark. Causing Sasha to cringe. I'd like to get Sasha used to other dogs. To even cultivate a doggy friend. But she steadfastly resists. Doesn't trust other dogs. Which is a shame. But I've introduced Sasha to my cat. Loverboy.  Nobody can resist Loverboy. Man or beast. Including Sasha. They have become bosom friends. Makes me wonder. If Sasha is more cat than dog. --Jim Broede

No comments: