Saturday, March 28, 2015

A safe harbor.

So, I'm reading that the suicidal and murderous co-pilot on that Germanwings ill-fated flight. Hid his mental illness. For which he was being treated. Off and on. For years. His friends and compatriots knew nothing about it. Had no clue. Maybe because mental illness is treated as a shame. Something to be hidden. I'm for openness. No secrets. Some people detest me. For being too open. Too honest. About the facts of life. I'd bring back the sanitariums. Sometimes known as insane asylums. If run properly, they can be godsends. Places where the mentally ill have a decent chance of recuperating. Of becoming well again. And if they can't be cured, better that they remain in a safe harbor. Cared for. Lovingly. Yes, another way. To design my perfect world. --Jim Broede

No comments: