Sunday, May 31, 2015

She wants to keep it all secret.

My friend Julie doesn't want people to know that she's in depression. Or that she has a drinking problem.  But I know. And I don't always keep Julie's secret. It annoys Julie. That I don't respect her privacy. For a reason. I'm trying to get help. For Julie. And therefore, I find it necessary to explain Julie's problem. To others. I also encourage Julie to talk about her situation. Openly. Honestly. I suggest that would be a step in the right direction. Sometimes, Julie pretends that she doesn't have serious issues. With depression. Or with drinking. Of course, deep down, she knows better. But she finds solace. In pretending. Sometimes, she even convinces herself. That she's normal. And doesn't need help. I suspect that Julie is embarrassed by what she has become.  Little wonder. She wants to keep it all secret. --Jim Broede

No comments: