Friday, May 1, 2015

Until she stops drinking.

Listening. It's an art. I have a so-called friend. That doesn't know how to listen.  She hears only what she wants to hear. I might as well talk to a wall. I'm wasting my time. I've put the friendship on hold. On suspension. In her relatively sober moments, I'm deluded. Mistaken. Thinking I've penetrated her thick skull. But the next day, she doesn't remember anything. Maybe she's in an eternal daze. I'm told that some alcoholics, after recovery, often can't remember the years they spent in a drunken stupor. Because their minds weren't functioning at the time. Indeed, a sad state of affairs. Instead, they are focused on their new-found recovery. That's the good part. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that my friend will ever recover.  Anyway, I've told her our friendship is over. But she's forgotten. I have to remind her daily. We're through. We're finished. Sayonara, baby. Until she goes in for treatment and stops drinking. Yes, that's my ultimatum. Time to listen up. --Jim Broede

No comments: