Wednesday, September 2, 2015

The danger of too much caring.

It's dangerous. Having friends and acquaintances with all sorts of problems. Marital. Financial. Health. My close associates also include Alzheimer care-givers. Seems like every day I hear complaints. From friends in depression. I try to be understanding. And try to help them cope. But sometimes it feels like I've been dragged down. Momentarily. Into their horrid pits. I'd hate to be a psychiatrist. Or a psychologist. With deeply troubled patients.  It would be essential. To compartmentalize.  To separate one's self. From the rigors of caring too much. Fortunately, I had the sense to cutback. From 24/7. To 8 to 10 hours a day.  When I was caring for Alzheimer-riddled wife Jeanne. Even now, while on the sidelines, observing other care-givers. I have to step back. For respite. I find ways. To focus. On other stuff.  Of a refreshing and rejuvenating nature. Otherwise, I'd risk falling into despair. From too much caring.--Jim Broede

No comments: