Saturday, November 7, 2015

It sure beats dying young.

Being a bundle of energy. Every day. Used to be. That was me. When I was younger. Now I'm 80. And I begin to wonder. Where has all the energy gone? The get up and go. I'm losing it. That's the biggest adjustment one must make. Yes, I've been told. That reaching old age. Ain't for those of faint heart.  Maybe I'm still reasonably energetic. For my age. Worthy of a consolation prize.  But I want more. And can't have it. That's a shame. I want to still be able to run a 7-minute mile. Now I have to settle for walking a 17-minute mile. I can still do 10 miles. Non-stop. Maybe even walking a marathon. If I had to.  Maybe I should be grateful. No need to lament. Because I can still move about. And stay awake. For 16 hours. Plenty of time. To read. To listen to music. And to write about growing old. Yes, it sure beats dying young. --Jim Broede

No comments: