Saturday, September 17, 2016

The definition of a loser.

In my younger days, I’d occasionally jog 13 miles. Non-stop. Around the entire Forest Lake chain. Yes, a distance halfway to a marathon. But I had no desire to enter a marathon. Because I thought 13 miles was far enough. And I didn’t have anything to prove to myself. My achievement was good enough. Of course, friends encouraged me. To enter a  marathon. Just to show that I could do it. Against real competition, too.  That’s where I drew the line. I didn’t want to compete. Against others. I merely wanted to jog/run for my enjoyment. For relaxation. Going at my own pace. That’s why I almost always ran  alone. As a solitary runner. Seeking true solitude.  I don’t particularly like living in a competitive world.  Always trying to be better than someone else.  Always trying to defeat the next guy. Yes, we live in a world. Where a Donald Trump might even become president of the United States.  Because to get ahead. To obtain the big prize. His aim is not only to win. But to humiliate everyone in his path. In the process, he has become  indecent and vile. A loser. --Jim Broede

No comments: