Monday, June 26, 2017

Feeling that I've really lived.

Really. As a journalist. As a writer. For local newspapers. I’ve helped make other lives better. By focusing on stuff that makes a difference. On local issues. On what I perceived to be wrongs and unfair treatment. Of people without a voice. I tried to give them a forum. An outlet. An opportunity to bring about change. I worked for what I thought was right. Maybe even if it wasn’t. I took risks. Chances. I got elected to the local school board. And served three years. I also gave three years to the country. In the army. And I cultivated relationships. Friendships.  With mutual benefits. For us all. But still, I feel frustrated. That I haven’t done enough. That I can’t do anything to stop a Donald Trump. Who goes contrary to my notion of the common good. I can write about it. But without any practical effect. But I get pleasure. In searching for the truth. I have developed a conscience. And I am conscious, too. I have a passionate pulse. I’m basically a happy being. That’s the bottom line. Getting through life. Feeling that I’ve really lived. --Jim Broede

No comments: