Wednesday, October 11, 2017

The decent thing.

It really shouldn’t matter whether the Cubs win or lose. But it really does matter. Because if the Cubs lose a critical/crucial game, especially in the playoffs, I go into a funk. Oh, I’ll get over it after a while. I’m not suicidal. Only momentarily depressed. I keep telling myself, it’s only a ball game. Not a matter of life or death. And I remind myself that the Cubs won the World Series last year. For which I am grateful. To pine for two World Series in a row – well, that might be asking for too much from the baseball gods. It takes audacity.  When granted one’s wish  last year. To wish for more and more. Endlessly. The time has come. For me  to tell the kind gods, thank you. I don’t need more blessings. I have more than  enough. Better to spread the bounteous wealth.  To the deserving fans of the Cubs’ rivals. It's the decent thing to do.  --Jim Broede

No comments: